Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Discovering the Silver Lining

As previously blogged, my organization is in the process of deciding on an outsourcing provider in which to transition much of its IT function. Although there still exists a fair possibility I will remain employed with the organization, or directly acquired by the outsourcer due to my experience and intricate knowledge of this organization, I have decided to use this opportunity to investigate new job possibilities. I figure now is the time to try and determine if job opportunities exist that will help build upon my career.

IBM is among the considerations for outsourcing vendors. Outside of this situation I would still be interested in working for them for various reasons. On reason in particular is while working on my Masters degree I completed classes in UML design and Java programming, which was a nice break from my Microsoft centralized background, and was something I truly enjoyed. Since my organization hasn’t adopted UML or Java, and IBM is heavily vested in these methods and technologies, I decided to apply for various positions within the organization. Although some applications were quickly declined because of a lack of fit, one position has remained in review for a few weeks now. If nothing else, this has become a motivator for me because it demonstrates I am marketable and I may be attractive to an organization I admire. Regardless of whether or not I get this position, I have discovered this small glimmer of hope has motivated me to worry less about the future and to focus more on creating my future. I’m surprised to have found this silver lining so soon. I hope I can remain focused on this positive and avoid allowing the worry and stress to once again settle in.

No comments: